- 1 pound Market Basket Green Onion Sausage Sliced
- 1/2 cup White flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 2 tbsp Ground paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Course ground black pepper
- 1 cup White rice 2 cups water
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1/4 cup Green onion Diced
- 1 tsp Gumbo file powder ground sassafras root
- 1/2 cup Yellow onion Diced
- 1/2 cup Red bell pepper Diced
- 1/2 cup Green bell pepper Diced
- 1/2 cup Celery Diced
- 1/2 cup Whole peeled tomatoes Chopped
- In a non-stick skillet, cook the butter till melted then add the flour and cook for about 15-20 minutes over low heat while stirring. You are looking to cook the roux and the darker the better.
- In a sauce pot, add the water and rice and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and the water has evaporated.
- In a very large pot, cook the vegetables in the olive oil till they are soft and tender. Add the water and the roux to the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add all remaining ingredients and continue to cook while stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Ladle the soup in to a bowl and place a large scoop of cooked rice in the bowl. Garnish with diced green onion and a dash of gumbo file powder.